About the New York Academy of Sciences
The New York Academy of Sciences is an independent, not-for-profit organization that since 1817 has been committed to advancing science, technology, and society worldwide. With more than 20,000 members in 100 countries around the world, the Academy is creating a global community of science for the benefit of humanity. The Academy's core mission is to advance scientific knowledge, positively impact the major global challenges of society with science-based solutions, and increase the number of scientifically informed individuals in society at large. Please visit us online at www.nyas.org.
JOB TITLE: Conference Associate
DEPARTMENT: Conference Center Operations
REPORTS TO: Associate Director, Meeting Operations
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
Supports the logistics and execution of NYAS sponsored events, as well as external events, both onsite at the NYAS conference center and other meeting locations. Primary liaison for all registration activities. Performs general administrative duties in support of meetings coordinators and department manager.
Cultivate and maintain positive relations with current and prospective members and other Academy stakeholders by providing accurate, efficient, and responsive services. Provide the highest level of service to all customers and strive to improve retention and engagement, while taking advantage of opportunities to cross-sell wherever possible. Ensure timely and accurate order processing.
- Set-up event registration details in AMS database. Create Promo Codes for event pricing discounts.
- Process meeting registrations including complimentary memberships for speakers and other event related VIPS and refunds received via e-mail, fax and phone, including membership validation.
- Manage onsite registration for all assigned events.
- Coordinate scheduling of Volunteer staff, and stipend management, for onsite registration check-in.
- Maintain registration and attendance data spreadsheets and process requests for database queries of registration data.
- Work with Accounting Department & Program Managers to reconcile event registration revenue and maintain timely and accurate records for each event
- Create and deploy e-mail blasts and surveys in support of meetings registration activity and/or other initiatives.
- Prepare forms for meetings: onsite registration, receipts, etc. Prepare name badges and collate registration packets.
- Respond to general requests for information on conferences and other meetings. Monitor and respond to general voicemail and e-mail boxes.
- Create and maintain customer records in the AMS system database; update customer based on return mail, process orders and transactions.
- Process transactions in AMS system (membership, donation, event registration, publication orders, etc.) according to established guidelines. Issue compensation or refunds to customers when required, and maintain accurate and timely records of all correspondences and/or discussions with customers in the system.
- Process monthly membership renewals, generating renewal emails, files for mail house (new member welcome kits, renewal letters), and subscription files for fulfillment by our magazine partners.
- Provide back-up coverage to the Customer Service team as needed.
- Provide switchboard /front desk relief coverage and other duties as assigned.
- College degree. 2-3 years experience in an administrative position.
- Membership or Registration database experience a plus.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize under tight deadlines.
- Customer Service experience in an education or non-profit organization a plus.
- Strong experience with personal computer applications including Email, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Mail Merge, Internet, web based event registration systems, and use of database management systems. HTML experience a plus.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service, communication, organizational and follow-up skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends to accommodate on-site event staffing
The Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer seeking a diverse workforce. We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package to both full-time and part-time staff that includes affordable health care insurance, tuition reimbursement, retirement plan, and liberal vacation time and holiday schedule.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include a resume, cover letter, and salary requirements.